Do you have times when you are fearful about everything that is going on around you? It may be in your home, your school, your country or many things in between. I know there are times when I am fearful. However, I remind myself not to be afraid because, God is in control.
Recently when I was reading my Bible, I found myself focusing on the words fear not in 2 Kings 6:8-17.
I have read those words as I study the pages of my Bible countless times over the years. God does not want us to live a life of fear, not even for a moment. To this end He proves to us repeatedly that He is always with us. Knowing that God is with us should soothe our fears because our lives are in His hands.
In the scripture in 2 Kings, the King of Syria plotted against the King of Israel. However, Elisha the Prophet would always warn the King of Israel who would then avoid the traps of the King of Syria. When the King of Syria found out that it was Elisha who had knowledge of his plans, he sent his army to fetch Elisha. When the king’s army surrounded them Elisha’s servant was afraid. However, Elisha said to him,
Fear not: for they that be with us are more than they that be with them. 2 Kings 6:16 KJV
Are you like me…sometimes fearful? It often seems as if the obstacles that the enemy throws in your path are unsurpassable. They seem bigger than life. However, they are not bigger than God.
What I like about this scripture is that Elisha didn’t just tell the servant not to fear, he prayed and said,
Lord, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the Lord opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha. 2 Kings 6:17 KJV (emphasis mine)
Elisha realized that the young man’s faith needed to be strengthened. No matter how much we trust God there are times when we need to SEE with our eyes that He is with us. God honored Elisha’s prayer and revealed to the young man the heavenly army that surrounded Elisha.
So, what is God saying in all of this?
Do not fear!
I have you surrounded!
No matter how unsurpassable the path seems, I have a way out for you.
6 Verses to think about when you are fearful:
- Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You. Psalm 56:3-11 (NKJV)
- God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble. Psalm 46:1 (NKJV)
- Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’ Isaiah 41:10 (NKJV)
- Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9 (NKJV)
- 6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7 New King James Version (NKJV)
A prayer for you
Dear God, thank you for, listening to the musings of my heart and leading me to passages in your word that offers direct words of comfort and hope. Today, help us not to fear but to cling to the hope that we can only find in your word.
Related post: Face Your Fears and Defy Your Comfort Zone